Friday, July 15, 2011

Beautiful Morning

I got up early yesterday morning to turn off the garden irrigation.  Early, in this case, is 6:20.  The grass was absolutely dew-soaked and my feet dripped all the way to the dining hall.  I took it easy and read a few magazines with my granola, since I haven't had a morning off in a while.  At 7:30 (an unseemly time it would have been a month ago) I walked back to my residence and passed the gardeners hoeing corn in the morning light.  It was irresistible.



After obtaining permission from all, I skipped from row to row photographing them.  Took a stroll around the block. More photos.  Returned.  Set myself to working, stepped outside, and turned right around for my guitar.  I sat by the willow and played all I knew to the perfect breeze, and when I was finally done, flute music wafted in from far away.  "Summertime, and the livin' is easy," it said.  Yet it smells and feels like a gorgeous fall.



Then I followed a woman with a saxophone to meet the flute music down by the dirt road.  Plans were made to sneak up on the gardeners with a dirge and a mock procession.  This morphed quickly into a parade of seven, with red costumes and red flag (and mock battle wounds and signs en francais), in honor of Bastille Day.



Then raw sweet corn and tempeh for lunch.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment