Friday, May 13, 2011

Banana Bread to the Rescue

I'm continuing to avoid needlecrafts as much as possible this week, so I turn to the kitchen for a likely project.  Ah, here's one!  I do detest letting delicious ingredients go to waste.

Not appealing

It may not look good enough for a fruit salad or a smoothie anymore.  It may even be brown on the inside.  But inside banana bread, the overripe texture doesn't matter and the sweetness rocks.

Looks delicious!

In fact, I think most fruits and vegetables, cooked if necessary and then mashed, do well in quick breads.  Think carrot cake!  Sweet-corn bread!  Zuchinni bread!  Pumpkin bread!  Your overripe produce can yet be saved!  Plus, it's fast and easy.  Use any banana bread or pumpkin bread recipe; I make fake pumpkin bread every winter with whatever squash I have on hand.  You can even add another handful of mash and skip the eggs.  (It might be a good idea to squeeze and drain the excess water out of very liquidy mash.)

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment